Data Discovery, Episode 1

The following Prezi summarizes the most important research findings from the graduate thesis, titled “An Analysis of Dropout Trends in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools,” written by Justin Lane, a former researcher at the UNC Charlotte Urban Institute. This Prezi is the first in a series of Data Discovery Prezis. The purpose of these presentations is to educate community members about key data trends that inform how we serve our most vulnerable populations. Please let me know if you have any suggestions. And, be sure your volume is turned on as you proceed through the Prezi!  … [Read more...]

Questions Kindled at Exeunt

Change is on the horizon (Photo by Author)

“My hope is that after this program you all will leave not with answers, but a collection of burning questions that you want to go out and solve.” Allison Dulin, creator and coordinator of our program, said this to us at the beginning of the Education Scholars program, or something along those lines. Initially, I didn’t understand exactly what she meant. We learn and questions are answered, or so things typically go. A meaningful chat with Rex (Allison’s husband) at a cookout, however, helped me dig in and really understand what those questions look like for me now. When I asked about his work in the financial sector, Rex explained to me some frustrations since the culture and structure of the system functions similarly to fifty years ago. For example, banks still use a FICO score … [Read more...]

The Future of Education, and the Scholars

future of learning

At the end of our orientation week, the Education Scholars explored the future of learning and our vision for education. We worked in small groups to complete the sentence “In the future, learning will…” and to draw a visual representation of our thoughts. Zero groups drew a picture of learning that happened solely within the confines of the schoolhouse. Almost every idea included innovative learning strategies, collaborative work, and teacher autonomy. We then came together as a group of ten to combine our phrases into one. This sentence can be found on the blog, and it is our collaborative effort: “We are working toward a world where learning will revolve around interconnected people, institutions, and disciplines that emphasize transferable skills and value education.” Though … [Read more...]

Redefining Authority

Power and authority are not necessarily synonymous.

As cliché as it sounds, I had always wanted to be President of the United States. Beginning in the second grade, I would always declare POTUS as my dream profession. Though I have since humbled myself with more realistic professional goals, I have maintained a keen interest in politics. Thus, traveling to Washington D.C. for the first time in my life with my fellow Education Scholars last weekend made me giddy with excitement. Now I finally had the opportunity to go to our nation’s capital where all the magic happens! Little did I know, federal politics is anything but magical. It is slow. It is difficult. It is static. I had always dreamed of federal politicians as all-powerful change-makers who utilized their supreme authority to create transformational improvements in the lives of … [Read more...]