// Google analytics code // Catalog search
Loading

Fire in Eu & Phi Halls – Articles

1921 Phi Hall Article | 1923 Eu Hall Article


Article from the March 11, 1921 issue of the Davidsonian about the fire in Phi Hall

Blaze in Phi Hall Causes Excitement – Prompt work of Students Saves Ancient Building from Destruction; Mooresville Fire Truck Brings Relief

Real “Fire” was on the campus last Friday morning.  The conflagration did considerable damage to the roof and eaves of the Philanthropic Literary Society Hall.  It is supposed to have started from a defective flue in the French classroom.

The whole student body, together with the faculty, turned out the give their aid.  Ladders and fire-hose seemed to be non-existent on the campus when they were most needed.  Some of the boys succeeded in finding two ladders, however, and with these and a few fire extinguishers, they began to fight the increasing flames.  Later, a bucket brigade was formed until a fire hose was rushed up from one of the mills.

Dr. Lingle proved to be the “coolest” man in the crowd.  While watching the fire eat its way toward his class room, he announced to the crowd that his French II class would take the next four pages.  The three “fire-chiefs” were Mr. Jackson, Dr. Arbuckle, and Dr. J.M. McConnell.  They proved to be experts on giving directions on how to use a fire-extinguisher.

A record run was made by the Mooresville fire department truck, but when they arrived the students had already extinguished the flames.


Eu Hall is Victim of Hebdomidal Fire

It’s the same old story.  Nothing to eat but food.  Nothing to change but tires.  Nothing to drink but water.  Nothing to fight but fires.  The latest addition to the wildcat category of fires was a poor exhibition for excitement, and a sad disappointment for the manze – white fire extinguishers.

It happened soon after the supper hour and should have been a whopper but it seems that fate was kind to the old forensic nursery of ex-president Woodrow Wilson, and Eu Hall still stands.  When the blaze was discovered Tuesday night, 13th, it seemed as though a real one was in store.  The whole upper hall was clothed in flames, but the removing of a rug removed the flames and all hopes of further excitement.

Rave on O! Zoroaster!

Sorry, comments are closed for this post.